Thursday, December 9, 2010

Trichotillomania

Prepare yourselves for a big word, and one that is fun to say: trichotillomania. Ian has it. It means pulling out your own hair. Ian is quite adept at it even though we shave his head Marine Corps short. I noticed a few more patches which means we have to be more vigilant about keeping his head shaved. It's quite the process shaving his head---we put him in a chair and I just go to town as fast as I can with the clippers, all the while plying him with jelly beans as incentive to stay seated. I've become quite adept at "the quickest shave in the west!" Ian also is prone to self-injurious behaviors, meaning he picks at his skin until he develops sores. Knock on wood (and praise the Lord), this has been better lately. Perhaps the screaming is taking place of the picking? Oh boy!

Yesterday was a pretty good day for "our Bug" (our nickname for Ian), but not so good a day for mom. I have been struggling with increasingly severe headaches, and went to see a new pain management doctor yesterday. My husband kindly offered to go with me and we drove separately so he could go to work afterward. When he stopped at a light, I was distracted for an instant and ran right into his back bumper! We now have to get both our cars fixed. Sigh. Then the doctor was two hours late, and although very nice, she manipulated my neck and caused me to have a whopper headache. Off I went to work anyway, and just went to bed early hoping for the best. I feel better this morning, but it does make me feel a bit wary about taking her on as my doctor. Luckily, when I bailed on John to go to bed, Ian chose to just calmly fall asleep on the couch while John read. And he only woke up once at 4:00 am. Thank you, Ian! The night before he was up between 10 pm and 11 pm, and between 4 am and 6 am. We take the blessings and the breaks when we get them!

4 comments:

  1. such a cutie, i wish him just the best and his whole family.
    god bless you <3

    greetings from berlin, germany

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel so sorry for him, i hope he ll never give up.

    but no matter what haters will say, you r normal and such a pretty young boy.
    dont listen to haters, there r so many people who support you like ur family.

    berlin, germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello my name is ellen i am 16 and i hav trich ive been pulling since i was 9 and its been a non stop thing, i dont no y i do it i just do it, im used to ppl staring and laughing and not having much friends but i am now over coming trich and i am doing great so far=] plz add me on fb so i can keep contact ellen fish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- I'm a medical student and while preparing for a test, I came across your blog. Thank you for sharing your story... you never know who it will reach, but hopefully it makes this future doctor more aware of what life for your family is like on a day to day basis. He's lucky to have you :) Wishing the three of you [if there are more members of your family, them too!] the best... and a great night sleep for all.

    ReplyDelete